Residential Roof Replacement
When it is time to think about re-roofing your home?
Deciding If Your Home Needs a Roof Replacement
Sooner or later, every roof needs to be replaced, usually due to the long-term effects of weathering. If a residential roof is more than 20 years old, it is a prime candidate for re-roofing. Here are some signs to help you determine if you need a new roof:
Signs to look for are:
- On the ground, walk around your home with binoculars and inspect your roof for cracked, curled or missing shingles, as well as any excessive loss of the protective mineral granules.
- In your attic, take a flashlight and look at the underside of the roof deck and rafters for any stains or wet spots indicating water leaks.
Curled up shingles:
- Badly curled along the bottom edge of the shingles. (Corners on shingle tabs)
- After time the shingle surfaces dry up and cause the surface of the shingle to crack. Remember – the crack is just on the surface and not through the whole shingle; the shingle will still protect the roof for a while longer.
Granules in the gutters and also on the ground around your home:
- Granules on shingles act as a layer of protection for the asphalt. As granules fall off, the asphalt is exposed to ultraviolet radiation from the sun which will cause the asphalt to deteriorate quicker then usual.
- Small bubble-like blisters may appear, as the shingle ages.
The aging process of a shingle can be described in three stages:
- During this stage, curling may begin at the corners and a few small blisters may appear on the surface. This will not affect the ability of the shingles to protect your roof.
- During this stage the shingles will still protect your roof as they continue to deteriorate.
- This stage is when you should think about replacing your roof. The curling shingles will be pronounced and very noticeable. The asphalt will be exposed from the lack of granules on the shingles. There may even be leaks forming from the degraded shingles and a shortage of coverage by the deteriorated shingles.
If you need a professional to check if you need a roof replacement in Edmonton or surrounding areas, contact us at 780.438.0331 or fill out this form to get a free quote. We will send out one of our roof specialists to prepare a full roof report for you.
We are fully insured and carry full up-to-date Workers’ Compensation Board coverage (WCB) for all of our experienced roofing technicians. You will receive a full workmanship warranty on your roofing system, giving you complete peace of mind. Our testimonials page features reviews from just a few of our satisfied customers and we are featured on the Better Business Bureau with an A+ rating.